The outbreak of COVID-19 serves as an unfortunate reminder that our health should never be taken for granted. At United Refuah HealthShare, we place a heavy emphasis on preventative care and maintaining healthy lifestyles. During this time, please remember not only to eat healthy but to stay active!
It’s no secret though, that working out at home can pose many challenges. So, without further ado, here are some of our recommendations:
- Familiarize yourself with the best at-home workout. At home workouts are doable and there are many that don’t require any equipment. You can’t go wrong with tried-and-true classics like lunges, planks and crunches. Do your research.
- Do a complete workout. According to Kevin Steel, PhD, exercise physiologist and vice president of 24 Hour Fitness Centers, an effective fitness program has five components:
- A warm-up: A walk outside or on the treadmill is a simple way to get warmed up.
- A cardiovascular (aerobic) workout: Do some jump rope, follow an aerobics video, or go for a brisk walk. Do anything that gets your heart-rate up.
- Resistance (strength-building) exercises:
- Flexibility moves: Increase flexibility with floor stretches or yoga poses.
- A cool-down: Similar to a warm-up, do simple movements to help bring your heart-rate back down
- Set yourself up for success. Prepare for your workout in order to maximize results and keep your motivation. Simple things like choosing a designated location, and putting on your workout clothes helps reframe your mind to create a routine and not fall out of it too quickly.
- Be realistic! Slow and steady wins the race. Only commit to what is reasonable for your schedule and ability. Avoid the temptation to jump into it all full speed. This will not be sustainable and can set you up for failure. Again, slow and steady wins the race!